Office for National Statistics carries out its data handling according to this Information Charter.
ONS Information Charter:
We need to handle personal information about you so that we can produce statistics of national importance. This is how we look after that information.
When we ask you for personal information, we promise:
- to make sure you know why we need it
- to only ask for what we need, and not to collect too much or irrelevant information
- to protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn't
- to let you know if we share it with other organisations to produce anonymised statistics used for research and improving public services - and if you can say no
- to make sure we don’t keep it longer than necessary, and
- not to make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission
In return, we ask you to give us accurate information.
For more information on the any of the following areas please see the related links at the top of the page:
- the ONS Survey Charter
- access to your personal data
unpublished data - agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information to produce anonymised statistics
For more information on the any of the following areas please contact email@example.com:
- the ONS Security Policy
our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information and how to make a complaint
When we ask you for information, we will keep to the law, including the Data Protection Act 1998. For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner at:
Phone: +44 (0)8456 306060 or +44 (0)1625 545745
Fax: +44 (0)1625 524510